MASTERS OF PHOTOGRAPHY REFLECTION

The photographer I chose was Cindy Sherman  because I thought her photographs’ were really nice and what intrigues me about her is she seems very passionate about her work and the effort she puts into her photo’s. I think my favorite photo she has done was Untitled Film Still #13
1978 because in the picture there is this lady in the library trying to get a book but looking somewhere else serious. In Sherman’s distinctive self-portraits she is dressed up and made up to portray hundreds of different women and occasionally men, but never herself.She says her art deals with female stereotypes, and they are portraits not of how she sees herself but how she sees men seeing women.She moved to New York in 1977, when she was awarded a National Endowment for the Arts grant. Early recognition came in the late 1970s with a series of black and white photographs called “Untitled Film Stills,” showing Sherman as a B movie actress in various poses.

Sherman had one of the first shows, of her early color photos. It was the beginning of her success, and today Sherman is one of the highest earning female artists. Over the years her repertoire of images has included movie stars, centerfold nudes, fairytale characters, victims of disasters, and historical figures. Some of her portraits have produced comic or grotesque effects with plastic body parts, dolls, and her own made up body. Sherman has received mixed reactions from feminist viewers who question whether she subverts the codes of female subjugation or perpetuates those same codes by constantly using female stereotypes.

Sherman (b. 1954) began with small black-and-white prints in the late 1970s, showing herself in fifties outfits, enacting fragments of an otherwise indecipherable narrative as housewife or glamor girl, modeled on film stills of Marilyn Monroe and Sophia Loren, and exploring the various stereotype     women.

Sherman, Untitled Film Still #13